Banknote Life Cycle
Central Banks govern the life cycle of their banknotes. The lifespan depends from short-term perspective on fitness for circulation, from a longer-term perspective on timeliness of security features and design, but also from inflation impacting value as means of payment.
Technical innovations of substrates, security features of level 1 to 3, printing technology and surface treatment/ varnishing improve the lifespan of banknote series. Technical upgrades enable automated banknote processing as well as operation of cash recycling ATMs and automated cash register systems.
The distribution of new banknotes and the repatriation of banknotes require an effective planning regarding production, storage to support daily operation and strategic reserve, processing and shredding as well as transport logistics.
Cash InfraPro analyses and develops strategies for modernization of banknote and coin series. We provide concepts for technical and logistical feasibility and support your project during implementation along the entire cash supply chain.
Cash cycle analysis
- Analysis and controlling tools for cash cycle models worldwide, value streams for cash in circulation and banknote/ coin life cycle
- Forecasting of demand for currency in relation to development of cashless payments
- Optimization of Note-Coin Boundary
Design and production of banknotes/ coins
- Gap-analysis of banknote and coin design
- Design of banknotes: defining substrate, printing technologies, security features
- Design of coins: defining material, security features, production and packaging
- Optimization of purchase and procurement process
- Customs procedures, i.e. inward/ outward processing
Logistics for replacement of banknotes/ coins
- Replenishment strategies for banknote/ coin series
- Planning of capacities and logistics for warehouses/ vaults, processing and destruction, transportation
- Organization of national/ international banknote/ coin supply and repatriation, cross-border transportation
- Planning and set-up of certified cash centers for Extended Custodial Inventory/ ECI program and NHTO warehouses
Fit for circulation
- Analysis, development and implementation of policies for authendication and fitness sorting
- Technical evaluation and advisory of banknote/ coin processing systems, dispensing/ recycling ATMs, shredding systems for banknotes